Install FC18 on laptop? Wifi woes

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Fri Jan 18 16:34:26 UTC 2013

Are you able to follow these instructions?

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-January/428974.html

I wondered if the problem is that the RPMfusion broadcom-wl is not up
to date.

Ranjan

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:01:33 -0500 Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
wrote:

> I'm trying to update a laptop to FC18, but that does not seem to be an option,
> because the Broadcom WiFi is still not supported. It seems that the obvious
> solutions are not practical, since both the Live-CD and Install kernels use
> kernels for which rpmfusion has no driver software due to their age.
>
> I suppose I could grab another laptop, connect to the net, set up routing,
> connect the laptops by cable, but that's a real hack. I could also install MINT,
> since their religious beliefs do not prohibit using freely provided vendor
> drivers, but I really prefer Fedora.
>
> I could provide a USB WiFi adapter which is recognized, only none of the three I
> have is detected by the kernels provided, even though they all worked on the
> FC16 gen laptops I was using a year ago or so.
>
> I could build my own kernel, but I have never mastered the secure boot sign your
> own UEFI, and I could run FC18 under KVM, but that doesn't provide the newer
> security features, just the newer apps, which is not the issue.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>    "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
> --
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional
e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.