Install FC18 on laptop? Wifi woes

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Jan 18 18:41:20 UTC 2013

Bill Davidsen <davidsen <at> tmr.com> writes:

> I'm trying to update a laptop to FC18, but that does not seem to be an option,
> because the Broadcom WiFi is still not supported.
SNIP

> Suggestions?

I just did a "modprobe b43" and the b43 module loaded without requiring any
additional files or packages.  Clicked on the NetworkMangler status widget and
picked my wireless AP.  Provided the password and connected right up.

I have a fairly old laptop with the BCM4306 chipset and my F18 install is fairly
"pristine" but I do have a wired connection to the same laptop and did a "yum
update" so the kernel is current.  I previously had F16 working on the same
laptop and still have a working install of F17 on another partition set.

Cheers,
Dave