Switch to KDE on Fedora 18

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Jan 20 00:04:44 UTC 2013

On 01/19/2013 03:40 PM, Michael Eager wrote:
> On 01/19/2013 01:00 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 01/19/2013 12:44 PM, Michael Eager wrote:
>>> I just installed F18 from the live CD.  I'm trying
>>> to install and switch to KDE.
>>>
>>> If I enter "switchdesk kde", I get a message saying to
>>> run "yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)".
>>> Yum says that Group KDE does not exist.
>>>
>>> Other than re-installing from the F18-Live-KDE CD, how
>>> can I switch desktops?
>>>

>> Your question contains its own answer.  As root, use yum to install
>> KDE the way the message tells
>> you to.
>
> My message also contained the response from yum, that
> Group KDE does not exist.

But the message doesn't say "yum groupinstall KDE," now does it.
Checking with yum grouplist I see that the group you probably need is
"KDE Software Compilation" although it probably wouldn't be a bad idea
to install "KDE Software Development" as well.  Or, you could install
yumex, bite the bullet and log in with Gnome and use it to find and
install what you need.