Time/Date shell-thingy in F18

William Murray bill.murray at cern.ch
Mon Jan 21 08:00:31 UTC 2013

    Dear list,
     (What do we call the shell thingies which replaced applets?)

I wanted to have the date at the top of my shiny new FC18 screen, not
just the time.
I installed dconf-editor, went to org->gome->shell and found 'calendar'
and 'clock'
each of which have booleans, one for 'show-weekdate' and the other for
'show-date'
As far as I can tell these do nothing at all. I toggle and log in/out or
reboot but no
date appears.
   This morning, with the new kernel, my system when into gnome 2
fallback mode.
Ah-hah! I siezed the opportunity of a 'preferences' menu on the clock,
switched
on the date, and rebooted - perfect; gnome 3, plus date.
     So I am happy....but there MUST be a better way to switch this on
and of?
      Bill

--
Bill Murray                     ----                       ATLAS
STFC RAL at: Bat 40 4-C28, CERN,1211 Meyrin, Geneve 23, Switzerland