which repos for fedora 18

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jan 21 16:46:45 UTC 2013

FMcCormick wrote:

> I noticed today that on Fedora 18 the Fedora-updates-testing repo is
> not enabled. Should it be ??

Probably not by default. THere are two reasons not to use this repo unless it
has something you really need, or really intend to test:

1 - packages here are really for testing, they don't have the QA that things in
the updates repo are expected to have. They may be new and wonderful, but have
been known to have major problems, including those which could cause cause loss
of data in some cases.

2 - these packages may _never_ make it into the supported updates repo. Which
may give you a chance to learn about reverting upgrades, cause you to create
data files in non-standard formats (done that), learn to love interface features
which don't get adopted in the mainline (that, too), or just leave you out of
sync with the rest of the Fedora world.

3 - when doing an update to the next release, these packages may not be
upgraded, or may be upgraded to a version which is not a proper superset of the
functionality of the testing version. Upgrade tools like 'preupdate' may not do
the right thing from your point of view, and in some cases there may not be a
right thing to do.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>