recommendations for SSD drive as first disk for fedora 18?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 14:38:42 UTC 2013

Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> writes:
> And please, PLEASE make sure you have a reliable and consistent backup
> procedure. I like SSDs, but when they die they generally die
> catastrophically and completely (at least in my experience) and you may
> not be able to recover anything from them.

You can do rsyncs from /etc/cron.daily onto a spare, normally unmounted
and spun-down, disk.  That way if your SSD ever goes south, you lose at
most a day's work.  When I got my ssd I wasn't sure what to expect, so I
figured I'd play it safe.  The only time I needed the daily backup was a
goof that did involve the ssd, but was the result of confusion as to
which directory I was in.  The incredible speed of the SSD allowed me to
delete a few thousand pictures in approximately a second. SSD's:
allowing you to make mistakes faster than ever before.  ;-)

-wolfgang
--
g+:  https://plus.google.com/114566345864337108516/about