Holding down the power button when the systems freezes

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Jan 29 01:23:35 UTC 2013

On 01/28/2013 04:57 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> When the systems freezes, is it safe to hold down the power button to
> power off the machine? If not, what alternatives do you suggest?

My laptop doesn't do that.  My desktop does, and most of the time I have
to use the reset button, but if that doesn't work, there's nothing left
except the power button and if so, there's not really much else I can
do.  You might try activating the Magic SysRq key
(http://www.linuxhowtos.org/Tips%20and%20Tricks/sysrq.htm) and seeing if
that works, but for me, it only works when it's not frozen.