F18: ~/.vnc/xstartup example

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 17:42:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:03:49 +0100
Fernando Gozalo wrote:

> could someone copy-paste a working ~/.vnc/xstartup so I can have a gnome3
> session when I access my computer using VNC?
>
> The ~/.vnc/xstartup I used in F17 doesn't work in F18.

It has been years since the last time I got gnome
to work in a VNC session, it seems way too dependent
on 3D stuff to function reasonably. I do have a
working script, but I use FVWM and don't try
to run a full blown gnome 3. I think the main
trick to getting apps to work is to get a dbus
session started. This provides me a minimal session
where I can manually run other programs as I need them:

#!/bin/bash
exec > $HOME/.vnc/xstartup.log 2>&1
. $HOME/.bash_profile
unset SSH_AGENT_PID
unset SSH_CLIENT
unset SSH_AUTH_SOCK
unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
unset SSH_CONNECTION
eval `dbus-launch --exit-with-session --sh-syntax`
fvwm &
/usr/bin/xterm