unsigned packages on F18

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 31 22:53:46 UTC 2013

Am 31.01.2013 22:02, schrieb Dave Stevens:
> Quoting Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>:
>

>> Am 31.01.2013 20:53, schrieb Jan Litwiński:

>>> try yum localinstall javapackage
>>
>> not a smart idea - usually ANY fedora package is signed
>>
>> missing signatures should be a WARNING SINGAL and not
>> ignored like trained monkeys confirm any SSL warning
>> in a webbrowser
>>

> it isn't a fedora package. I wanted to used a js app in firefox and it needed the plugin

then it is not a js app
javascript != java

> and went looking for one. the download came from Oracle

so why not "yum install icedtea-web" which is the java-plugin

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ yum search java web plug-in
Geladene Plugins: etckeeper, langpacks, presto, protectbase
rhsoft-fedora                                                                    | 2.9 kB  00:00:00 !!!
rhsoft-generic                                                                   | 2.9 kB  00:00:00
0 packages excluded due to repository protections
icedtea-web.x86_64 : Java browser plug-in and Web Start implementation

> I have some criticisms of Oracle as a firm but I suppose they can be
> trusted to that extent. Anyway I'll try that suggestion when I get back
> to that computer

trusting in context of a unsigned package? uhm............
each third party repo installs it's GPG key with the release-package