"hackers"

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Wed May 1 19:26:48 UTC 2013

On 04/30/2013 03:11 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 5:28 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr.
> <eoconnor25 at gmail.com <mailto:eoconnor25 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     n all honesty Mr. Dineen: Absolutely Nothing! But it was fun while
>     it lasted, as I'm sure they'll now "shut down" the topic and move
>     on to bigger and better things! LoL!
>

>     EGO II
>

>     On 04/26/2013 01:12 PM, Thomas Dineen wrote:
>>     Gents:
>>
>>         I have been quietly listening in to this discussion for
>>     several days now!
>>

>>        I have a simple question: What the hell dose this rant have to
>>     do with:
>>     "Community Support For Fedora Users"??????????
>>
>>     Thomas Dineen
>>

> If you do shut it down, and don't want to hear about the topic, then
> can we PLEASE clean up our language around hacking, hackers, and "I've
> been hacked"? Actually, this is not a question; it's more of a kindly
> demand. Since we are all hackers, I have no clue what the term "I've
> been hacked" means. If your system becomes compromised, say so, or fix
> it, or ask the community to help with code, like we used to do when we
> broke into each other's systems. Don't bother us with your cry wolf,
> or I - or someone else - will be back with this line. The line "I've
> been hacked" sounds like the author either doesn't know how to speak
> or ought to get out of computers because said person doesn't know how
> to code.
>
> Richard Vickery

I agree that the word "hacker" brings to mind visions of some
overweight, glasses-wearing, geek living in his parent's garage,
surrounded by five computers that he built from spare parts, with all
manner of code running......but that's just Hollywood, in real life, as
stated before, "hackers' are hired to be programmers, and to try to
break commercial software while its still in testing mode, so that they
can ship a product that has been put through its paces. I don't think I
would have said I've been hacked, I might have gone with
"compromised"...attacked....maybe even violated"?....LoL! But that's
just me....

EGO II