Monitor turns off on normal boot

Anthony Papillion anthony at papillion.me
Wed May 1 19:43:07 UTC 2013

On 05/01/2013 09:59 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-01 at 04:22 -0500, Anthony Papillion wrote:
>> I'm having trouble getting Fedora (or Ubuntu or Windows) to do a
>> normal boot.
>>
>> When I try to boot Windows or Ubuntu in normal mode, it gets to a
>> certain point then the monitor turns off and nothing more happens. I
>> finally got Fedora 14 to work by selecting basic video. But when I
>> upgraded to 17, same thing happened: got to a point then the monitor
>> turned off.
>>
>> Can anyone help me? I'd thought it might be a video driver issue but
>> on three separate is installations?
>
> Could be that the system's picking a video rate that your monitor can't
> handle.  One of mine did that.  In the end, I hand edited a
> ~/.config/monitors.xml file to specify the screen resolution that the
> monitor would work at.

That could very well be. I went to my $HOME/.config directory and it
doesn't look like there even is a monitors.xml file there. Keep in mind
that this is 14 so it might have changed maybe? Any documentation on how
to manually construct the monitors.xml file? I've been Googling around
with no luck.

Thanks,
Anthony