Expectation of privacy

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Thu May 2 20:29:44 UTC 2013

Sure, but as those of us who spend a lot of time in court come to recognize, what constitutes "bad manners" and what is "illegal" (and  particularly what is excludable from court),  are two very, very different things.

And, of course, not all situations are equivalent.  I have been in the situation, for instance, where the same person has sent me emails saying one thing, told a colleague another thing, told a federal investigator a third thing, and told the press a fourth thing.  Any assertion that there is some sort of protection that precludes this kind of deception from being outed because the deceptions are in private email would be incorrect.  No communication can properly be viewed in a vacuum when it comes to making dogmatic statements about reportability.

billo