virsh ok with TLS but virt-viewer not

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri May 3 16:59:29 UTC 2013

On 05/03/2013 08:34 AM, Fernando Lozano issued this missive:
> Hi there,
>
> I folowed instructions on:
>
> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/TLSSetup
>
> To setup TLS conections to a qemu+kvm host, for remote administration. I
> guess I did everything right, because
>
> sudo virsh -c qemu+tls://myhost/system
>
> Works fine. So far every command I tried is ok. Giving the same URL to
> virt-manager also works.
>
> But I cannot open any guest console, be it from virt-manager or from
> virt-viewer.
>
> If I try:
>
> sudo virt-viewer -c qemu+tls://myhost/system 1
>
> I get an error pop-up telling "Unable to connect to graphics server
> myhost:5900"

Use the virsh command to get to one of the machines and then do a

	netstat -lpnt

and verify you have something listening on port 5900. If you don't,
then the virt console won't work (probably that the vnc server didn't
start on the guest machine).
-    I'm telling you that the kernel is stable not because it's a    -
-    kernel, but because I refuse to listen to arguments like this.  -
-                                              -- Linus Torvalds     -