UEFI Notebook

Len Philpot len at philpot.org
Sun May 5 13:18:58 UTC 2013

For what it's worth, I recently went through this myself. I bought an ASUS
K55N with Win8 on it, UEFI and all that. I knew nothing (and still know
little) about the intricacies of UEFI, but did discover the following --

I had to enable "CSM mode" in firmware. Your laptop may have another term for
it. This enabled me to choose from a non-EFI boot device, which was critical
to getting the F18 DVD to boot directly. There are apparently ways to boot
from an EFI USB stick, then run anaconda on the DVD from there. I was finally
able to boot from USB, but never worked out the exact device/command to get
anaconda running.

I had planned on leaving the EFI partition in place in case I ever wanted to
go back, but after trying the F18 textonly install (graphical installer kept
locking up), it ...ahem... conveniently removed it for me. Be careful if you
try the text mode installer: There are few choices and little confirmation of
what it's about to do. After the bare-bones core install completed, I was then
able to re-run the graphical installer to completion, blowing away what had
just been installed.

Also - Just a note about F18 installs in general... You'll probably want to
get familiar with yum once installed, since the installer offers virtually no
choice in package selection prior to installation. 'yum groupinstall' is your
friend.  :-)

There's a thread I started on Fedora Forums about it:
http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=290423

HTH.
--
Len Philpot