Using Chromium instead of Chrome?

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Sun May 5 22:14:29 UTC 2013

On Mon, 06 May 2013 00:03:58 +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> On Sun, May 05, 2013 at 09:32:08PM +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 May 2013 08:54:54 +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>>
>> > What does the following say?
>> >
>> >   $ xdg-mime query default text/html
>> >
>> > It should give you the desktop file for Chrome.  Change it to the
>> > desktop file for Chromium with something like the following.
>> >
>> >   $ xdg-mime default <chromium_desktop_file> text/html
>>
>> 	OK, I have a doubtless Very Dumb Question (VDQ) to the general
>> case : if I want to change it to, say, Dillo (or Opera, or Midori,
>> or ...), where do I look for this <generic-desktop-file> text/html, and
>> how do I recognize it when I find it? I don't see any candidates where
>> I can think of to look, but maybe I wouldn't.
>
>   $ rpm -ql google-chrome-beta midori firefox | grep desktop
>   /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome.desktop
>   /usr/share/applications/fedora-midori.desktop
>   /usr/share/applications/midori-private.desktop
>   /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
>
> Does this help?

	Hmmm.... Ver-r-ry interessttingg :

[btth at Hbsk3 ~]$ xdg-mime query default text/html
firefox.desktop
[btth at Hbsk3 ~]$ rpm -ql google-chrome-beta midori firefox | grep desktop
/usr/share/applications/fedora-midori.desktop
/usr/share/applications/midori-private.desktop
/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop

	I have neither chrome nor chromium installed, so I also tried :

[btth at Hbsk3 ~]$ rpm -ql google-chrome-beta arora dillo | grep desktop
/usr/share/applications/fedora-arora.desktop
/usr/share/applications/fedora-dillo.desktop

	Then I substituted, but got a surprise :

[btth at Hbsk3 ~]$ xdg-mime default </usr/share/applications/fedora-
dillo.desktop> text/html
bash: text/html: No such file or directory
[btth at Hbsk3 ~]$

	Almost all of that is c&p; so what did I do wrong?

Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.