UEFI Notebook

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Mon May 6 17:54:10 UTC 2013

On 05/06/2013 12:35 PM, Len Philpot wrote:
> I don't think I specifically said that I created a non-EFI USB stick -- I
> simply stated I created a USB boot stick (I didn't say whether it was EFI or
> not). Actually it /was/ an EFI USB boot stick, but I was unable to figure out
> how to launch anaconda from the DVD once booted from the stick. That was all
> done prior to enabling CSM mode and the textonly install which removed my EFI
> partition. After the textonly install, it was no longer an issue.

You're making this even more confusing to anyone reading this thread.
You specifically stated:

> This enabled me to choose from a non-EFI boot device, which was
critical to getting the F18 DVD to boot directly.

If you created your boot media correctly, you would not need to disable CSM.

> Actually it /was/ an EFI USB boot stick, but I was unable to figure
out how to launch anaconda from the DVD once booted from the stick.

You do not start anaconda from the DVD manually. The Fedora DVD is a
self-enclosed installer image. You boot the DVD image and it
automatically launches anaconda that resides on it.

The Fedora LiveCD (USB) image is a self-enclosed live system. You boot
the LiveCD (USB) image and have the option of installing Fedora, but
anaconda runs on the image itself and does not require any external media.

You should see the question for installing Fedora or using the Live
image as the very first window when you boot from the Live image. There
is also a desktop launcher icon that is placed in your Applications list
in case you close this window, too. If this large, window is hard to
find... I don't know what else we can do to make it simpler.