F18 on Raspberry Pi

Mike Heitmann n0so at att.net
Thu May 9 11:57:15 UTC 2013

On May 9, 2013, at 1:17 AM, MLists <mlists at starmania.net> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has any hints/tips on getting Fedora 18 up and running on a Raspberry Pi (specifically the latest 2.0 model B 512M version).

I've got two Raspberry Pi units here running FC18 and amateur radio applications. They are working fine.

Where did I you get the SD card images from? I downloaded from here:
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/raspberrypi/raspberrypi-fedora-remix/18/images/rpfr-f18-final.zip

You will need to unzip the file downloaded and write the image to a 4gb (or larger) class 10 SD card:
unzip rpfr-fc18-final.zip
sudo dd if=rpfr-18-final.img of=/dev/mmcblk0

As I recall, it took a good while for the image it boot up the first time, a lot longer than some of the other distros, and until starts does you will see a blank screen. I also have found the Fedora distro image is also less tolerant of what SD card it's copied to. I'd start with a good quality 4gb or larger card. An I believe the larger cards take longer to start the first time. Maybe you're not giving it enough time to initialize.

More info here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Mike, N0SO