How to mount a external USB drive automatically

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu May 9 20:51:22 UTC 2013

On 05/09/2013 12:40 PM, Joe Zeff issued this missive:
> On 05/09/2013 12:27 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> I have never known a usb drive to show up on the desktop without being
>> mounted. Have you looked in /etc/mtab? If so, what does it show? If
>> not, how do you know the drive isn't mounted?
>
> I'm running F 17 with Xfce, on two computers and on both, I've told it
> to mount removable media when inserted.  When I plug a flash drive in,
> on either box, it appears on the desktop, but if I right-click on it,
> one of the options is to mount it.  I can't speak for the OP, but that's
> how I know they're not mounted.

F17, XFCE as well. On my systems, an icon appears on the desktop when
the media is inserted--but it is NOT mounted. The icon is labeled:

a) using filesystem label(s), if any; or

b) the manufacturer's model name (if it can be found); or

c) a generic label (such as "4G filesystem")

You must either double-click the icon or, as Joe says, right click and
choose "mount". It will be mounted as /run/media/(username)/(label).