F18 on Raspberry Pi

Ted Sluis ted.sluis at gmail.com
Thu May 9 21:47:41 UTC 2013

On May 9, 2013, at 1:17 AM, MLists <mlists at starmania.net> wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has any hints/tips on getting Fedora 18
> up and running on a Raspberry Pi (specifically the latest 2.0
> model B 512M version). I’ve tried about 4 different tutorials
> scattered around the net to copy the dist onto the SD card, about
> a half dozen different SD cards.  Also tried a couple of
> preinstalled ones from eBay just in case I was doing something
> stupid.  Also tried about 3 different Raspberry Pi’s. In all
> cases I get nothing… apply power and just get a black screen.
> Have tried a couple of other distros and they all seem to boot
> up right away the first time. I’d prefer to be using Fedora
> since I’m far more familiar with it, but I’m at wit’s end trying
> to get it to work.
>
> Cheers,

Anything could be the problem Mike, but maybe you suffer from this issue:
I got two raspberry's, both model B 512 version. One raspberry was
delivered in October 2012 and the other one in April 2013. The old model
boots well with rpfr18 final image. The new model did not ;-( Only the red
power LED stays ON and the green (SD card) LED only flashes very briefly.
Then nothing happened....

What seems to be the problem: New raspberry pi hardware comes with a new
memory chip. Unfortunately the boot-loader that is used in the raspberry pi
fedora (rpfr) 18 final is out dated and does not support the new memory
chip. The good news is: a new bootloader is available! All Linux brands for
raspberry use the same type of boot-loader  You need to copy the three
files boot-loader files -bootcode.bin, fixup.dat and start.elf- from an
other raspberry distro to your /boot file-system  For example, I use
the boot-loader files from the latest OpenElec image. You can download it
here:
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/download/finish/10-raspberry-pi-builds/76-openelec-stable-raspberry-pi-arm
There are several posts in the raspberrypi.org forum about this issue.
Check these posts for more info:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=42511
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=329434#p329434
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=329416#p329416
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=328816#p328816

I hope this will help you.

(Btw: This is the first time I post something in this mailing list. I hope
I followed the mailing list guidelines in the right way. If not, please let
me know...)

Ted Sluis