MORE INFO: Can't start in graphical mode or select desktop after software uninstall

Anthony lists at cajuntechie.org
Tue May 14 12:26:05 UTC 2013

On 05/14/2013 07:12 AM, Anthony wrote:
> So I wanted to remove libimobiledevices since I *though* I was the one
> who'd installed it and it was no longer needed (I'm ditching the iPod).
> I typed
>
> sudo yum remove blahblah
>
> where blahblah was the actual package name for libimobiledevices.
>
> All of a sudden, I saw it removing all sorts of stuff I didn't want to:
> blueman, banshee, empathy, etc. It then dropped me to a terminal screen
> where it had started blueman again. It stayed there.
>
> Finally, I restarted the computer and it only starts at runlevel 3
> (non-graphical mode). I have to log in and type startx every time to
> bring up the desktop. BUT, it only automatically starts GNOME3 and not
> XFCE. I also have no way to select XFCE as I no longer get the login
> screen in graphical mode. It just starts the desktop.
>
> How can I fix this? Did I just do something that will require me to
> reinstall my system?

One more thing:

I can start the GDM manually by running

sudo gdm

and then selecting xfcesession. But I can't have it autostart now. I did
a check of systemctl status prefdm.service and was told:

prefdm.service
	  Loaded: error (Reason: No such file or directory)
	  Active: inactive (dead)

I also tried to do the symlink thing to make sure I was at the right
'runlevel' with systemd by typing

sudo ln -s /etc/systemd/system/default.target
/lib/systemd/system/graphical.target

and received:

ln: failed to create symbolic link
‘/lib/systemd/system/graphical.target’: File exists

This tells me everything *should* be fine. But it obviously isn't. Anyone?

Thanks!