Can anyone recommend a cheap MP3 player?

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Tue May 14 15:33:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, 13 May 2013, Anthony wrote:

> I have an old iPod Touch 1st Gen that I really still use quite a bit
> (mostly for email and the like). But since I moved all of my computers
> to Linux, I can't access the device anymore and can't transfer music to
> and from it. I'm not willing to install Windows in any form be it a VM
> or the like, So I'm going to get a new MP3 player and just use the Touch
> like a handheld for email and podcasts I can stream online.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good, cheap 8gb MP3 player that will work with
> Fedora? If possible, I'd like something that simply shows up as a flash
> drive or something instead of having the need to install libraries and
> other programs to access it.

I'm in a similar but manageable predicament: I have two portable media
devices - a 30GB Creative Zen:M from ~2006, and a ZEN X-Fi3 (currently
available). The former requires utilities to move media/data to/from the
device; in the linux world gnomad works very well. In the latter case, the
device mounts like a flash drive, and has a bay for an sd card, which when
used shows up as a separate mount point.

I would think that for older Apple-related devices there would still be
linux utilities that allow you to transfer and adjust media on those
devices, no?

> Thanks!
> Anthony Papillion

Max Pyziur