suggestions for linux laptop

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Wed May 15 21:16:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, 15 May 2013 15:48:59 -0500 Anthony <lists at cajuntechie.org>
wrote:

> On 05/14/2013 11:05 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > I am looking for a new laptop running Fedora. A real workhorse but
> > hopefully not very heavy. Any suggestions?
>
> I have had great experiences with System76. I've owned a few of their
> machines but, if I were to recommend one now, I'd say The Bonobo
> Extreme. Hands down the best laptop I've ever owned.  The damn thing
> even has a subwoofer on it!
>
> https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/bonx6#

Thanks all!I have only had three notebooks in the past 16 years. The
first was a NEC Versa (1997) followed by a Dell Latitude C840 (2003)
and a Thinkpad T61 (2007). The first two still exist. The last died
part by part: this morning, some cooling unit finally gave up and
burned something out.

I don't know how true this is, but a view seems to be that quality of
the product suffered with the switch from IBM to Lenovo. My wife's
Thinkpad T410s (2009) is certainly a more unreliable product: the
screen had to be replaced, and she can not run jobs on it because of
cooling issues.

Any suggestion wrt Dell or HP (I have avoided HPs in the past because
of their problems with linux, but things may have changed now)? The
university prefers these two (and also Mac, but while I like their
vertical resolution, I hate hate their OS, so why would I spend on
something I have no plans to use): however I can get something else
if it is really better.

Ranjan