Yum kernel upgrades don't boot

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 20 16:46:11 UTC 2013

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2013 19:35:23 -0700
> Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
>
>> On 05/18/2013 06:40 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>>

>>> So is dropping the kernel command line options a bug, or deliberate
>>> policy?
>>
>> Neither.  When you install a new kernel, the file is rebuilt, using
>> /etc/default/grub as a template.  If you need to add something
>> permanently, you need to add it there.
>
> It's actually not. ;) Kernel updates don't run grub2-mkconfig, they use
> grubby which just copies the last existing entry.
>
> It should re-use the options from the previous top existing kernel. Did
> you have those options in that kernel entry?

The fact that I got three different answers tells me that I'm not alone in
having some questions in this area.

Reindl says he has never seen grub2 touched, then adds that the params of the
running kernel were used for the new one. That's useful if true, I have assumed
that the parameters of the default kernel (the "Fedora" one) were used. In cases
where the running kernel was booted after an edit, I assume that means they are
taken from /proc/cmnline.

Joe Zeff says the list is rebuilt using /etc/default/grub, while Kevin says it
is NOT rebuilt, but copied from "the previous top existing kernel" which might
mean the kernel in the "Advanced" submenu rather than the "Fedora" kernel. If
that's the case then I have to edit grub2.conf each time for every kernel even
though I don't normally boot them, and they don't all have the same options.
Some of the kernels I have never got the vendor video module, and have to run
with the vesa driver, so options are unique, PITA to hand edit.

Lastly, there is an /etc/default/grub2 file, don't know what created that, but
it appears to be irrelevant.

Thank you all for your responses, although they don't give me clarity they give
me things I can observe while I do my own testing. Need I add that this area
seems to be a good one for some definitive documentation?

"We are still confused, but about new and more important things."

During upgrade I get "Found {version}" messages, which I thought were from
grub2-mkconfig.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>