Weird network problem

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu May 30 02:55:02 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 09:45 +0930, Tim wrote:
> If you felt like a lot of hard work, you could probably write
> something
> that was triggered by your DHCP client to talk to dyndns, if DHCP was
> responsible for your address changes.  Less work would be to use
> NetworkManager's despatch scripts to update your dyndns data whenever
> NetworkManager detected a change in your network status.  Or,
> especially
> if you don't use NetworkManager, you could use something (e.g.
> ddclient)
> that's already been designed to handle dynamic address changes, that
> may
> use some other technique to determine your external address and notice
> when it changes.

I used to use ddclient but actually I've found that the least effort
solution is just to let my router do it. Many home routers now support
DynDNS (and similar services) directly, so I just configure it once and
forget about it. Make sure to set an admin password on the router of
course (but you knew that already :-)

poc