cron job question (for checking kernel updates)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 2 15:21:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 10:10:45AM -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> I also have a cron job which checks for kernel updates every hour and
> sends me a message if an updated kernel has been installed. Here is the
> relevant script:

Back when I did the BU Linux distribution, we had a similar script, which
you can still get from

ftp://linst.bu.edu/yum/5.0/source/x86_64/SRPMS/kervercheck-1.0.4-bu50.1.src.rpm

You may find this useful.

I've been meaning to package this up for Fedora but have never gotten around
to it. If someone else would like to, that would be awesome.

This script sends by e-mail, and therefore avoids what I think is the
problem you have: notify-send attaches to the dbus message bus in your
current X session, and jobs run distinct from that.

I haven't tried this, and it's been a long time since I've tried anything
similar, but I think the steps here
http://earlruby.org/2008/08/update-pidgin-status-using-cron/
should help -- it's someone trying to do basically the same thing. (There's
an example for notify-send).