cron job question (for checking kernel updates)

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Oct 3 02:27:09 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 21:38:26 -0400 Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 07:55:51PM -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > 0 * * * * maitra DISPLAY=:0.0 $HOME/scripts/yum/check-kernel.sh
>
> Did you try the things in the blog post I'd linked to? As I said in my
> previous method, notify-send needs to talk to your dbus session, and it
> can't get that from inside cron.
>
>   http://earlruby.org/2008/08/update-pidgin-status-using-cron/
>
> has a way of working around that.

Sorry, I was going to get to this, but wanted to try the other
quicker-implemented suggestions also. Now that there is a sort of
workaround there, I will look into implementing this. (This looks more
elegant to me: maybe it is no different from the other solution.)

Thanks again!
Ranjan

> --
> Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use
appropriate addresses.