(SOLVED) Re: cron job question (for checking kernel updates)

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Oct 3 22:00:55 UTC 2013

On 10/03/2013 02:38 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> #!/bin/bash
> # Export the dbus session address on startup so it can be used by cron
> touch $HOME/.Xdbus
> chmod 600 $HOME/.Xdbus
> env | grep DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS > $HOME/.Xdbus
> echo 'export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS' >> $HOME/.Xdbus
> # Export XAUTHORITY value on startup so it can be used by cron
> env | grep XAUTHORITY >> $HOME/.Xdbus
> echo 'export XAUTHORITY' >> $HOME/.Xdbus

The first executable line is redundant, because when you redirect the
output of the env to ~/.Xdbus, that will create it, meaning that the
chmod line can be moved down one, so that the file exists when the
command is executed.  I'm not saying that you have to do it this way,
but it just looks cleaner the other way, at least to me.  YMMV, and it's
your system.