(SOLVED) Re: cron job question (for checking kernel updates)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 3 22:27:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 03:00:55PM -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> >touch $HOME/.Xdbus
> >chmod 600 $HOME/.Xdbus
> >env | grep DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS > $HOME/.Xdbus
> >echo 'export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS' >> $HOME/.Xdbus
> ># Export XAUTHORITY value on startup so it can be used by cron
> >env | grep XAUTHORITY >> $HOME/.Xdbus
> >echo 'export XAUTHORITY' >> $HOME/.Xdbus
> The first executable line is redundant, because when you redirect
> the output of the env to ~/.Xdbus, that will create it, meaning that
> the chmod line can be moved down one, so that the file exists when
> the command is executed.  I'm not saying that you have to do it this
> way, but it just looks cleaner the other way, at least to me.  YMMV,
> and it's your system.

It's not a big deal, but if you do it that way, there will be a brief
instant when the permissions may be more open than 600, during which someone
else could maybe steal the contents. On Fedora, the default will be 664,
which is world-readable. Your home directory may also be readable by others,
so they could theeeeretically try to steal your DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS.