ssh / gearman issue

bruce badouglas at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 19:45:42 UTC 2013

Hi.

Looking at a trying to work/walk through a problem.

I have a gearman daemon/server app running on a master machine. The
master gearman process places the jobs on the queue as a background
process, ie it doesn't wait for a return from the worker/child app.

I also have 10-20 client machines, that are workers/children of the
master gearman process.

All of the machines are connected, via ssh (bidirectional).

The local/client machines/apps can easily recieve the jobs from the
master process.

However, I'm considering an issue where I want the client processes to
be able to return their results back to the master when the client
apps have completed their work.

So, as far as I can tell, I've got a couple of potential approaches:

--I can have the client push the returned data back to the master
system, via ssh, where I invoke a remote process running on the master
system

--I could implement a webservice kind of approach and pass the
returned packets back via the service

-I was wondering if it wwould be possible to have each client app also
act as a gearman master app, with all the client apps running on the
same localhost/port, and then using the ssh forwarding process, have
all the clients be received by an app running as a worker on the
masterside.

  The masterside would have to have the ssh tunneling/forwarding setup
to "listen" to the same port on all of the client systems... (Is this
even possible, without conflicts??) I ran a short test with two
different clients and a 3rd master app to listen/process the
work/jobs, and got a port conflict error, but it could have been due
to something not being configured correctly.

Thoughts/comments??

Thanks