How to keep an old kernel?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 19:29:27 UTC 2013

On 10 October 2013 19:00, David <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/10/2013 12:53 PM, Ian Malone wrote:

>>> These 'kernel files' are created when a kernel installed and they are
>>> specific for *that* kernel. They do not work with older or newer
>>> kernels. If *this* kernel is removed they no longer have any value. If
>>> you re-install that kernel these files are recreated.
>>>

>> Those files *include* the kernel (vmlinuz) and if you wanted you could
>> manually put them there after removing the package. (You'd also want
>> the relevant /lib/modules directory too, and probably the relevant
>> kernel headers)
>> That said, advice on methods to avoid uninstalling the package in the
>> first place is probably the best strategy.
>>

> You should read my other post in this thread where I linked explanations
> about the files.

I saw it. You suggested that dracut creates these files, it only
creates the initramfs image. The post I replied to (above) actually
says the files are dependent on and specific to the kernel, rather
than that these are the installed kernel and related files. It creates
confusion (whether or not you are confused yourself) between the
package and the kernel itself. I thought that was worth clarifying.

> Sadly the options are:
>
> New kernels no longer work with your older, or odd, hardware then don't
> update the kernel. Which also leaves you with not being about to update
> to new OS version(s).
>
> Or?
>
> Replace the the older, or odd, hardware.

Or

Report a bug and try to get a regression fixed. The new kernels don't
work problem should only happen when support for something is dropped.
(Or if you rely on a proprietary module.)

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk