R?

Richard Vickery richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 17:27:19 UTC 2013

I know they're useless, but the professor used them and, having known
how to do things without then before class, I have since forgotten how
to get by without them; and under the pressures of the current
classes, it would be far easier using them until the Winter break.

Here's what I get when I go to install these:

> install.packages()
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Installing package into '/home/richard/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.0'
(as 'lib' is unspecified)
also installing the dependencies 'png', 'iplots', 'JGR'

trying URL 'http://cran.stat.sfu.ca/src/contrib/png_0.1-6.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 24919 bytes (24 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 24 Kb

trying URL 'http://cran.stat.sfu.ca/src/contrib/iplots_1.1-6.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 336510 bytes (328 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 328 Kb

trying URL 'http://cran.stat.sfu.ca/src/contrib/JGR_1.7-15.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 759394 bytes (741 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 741 Kb

trying URL 'http://cran.stat.sfu.ca/src/contrib/Deducer_0.7-6.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 5941779 bytes (5.7 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 5.7 Mb

* installing *source* package 'png' ...
** package 'png' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** libs
gcc -m64 -std=gnu99 -I/usr/include/R -DNDEBUG  -I/usr/local/include
`libpng-config --cflags` -fpic  -O2 -g -pipe -Wall
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches  -m64 -mtune=generic
-c read.c -o read.o
/bin/sh: libpng-config: command not found
read.c:3:17: fatal error: png.h: No such file or directory
 #include <png.h>
                 ^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [read.o] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'png'
* removing '/home/richard/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.0/png'
ERROR: dependency 'png' is not available for package 'iplots'
* removing '/home/richard/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.0/iplots'
ERROR: dependency 'iplots' is not available for package 'JGR'
* removing '/home/richard/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.0/JGR'
ERROR: dependency 'JGR' is not available for package 'Deducer'
* removing '/home/richard/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.0/Deducer'

The downloaded source packages are in
'/tmp/Rtmpx96KAX/downloaded_packages'
Warning messages:
1: In install.packages() :
  installation of package 'png' had non-zero exit status
2: In install.packages() :
  installation of package 'iplots' had non-zero exit status
3: In install.packages() :
  installation of package 'JGR' had non-zero exit status
4: In install.packages() :
  installation of package 'Deducer' had non-zero exit status

What did/am I do/ing wrong?