R?

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Tue Oct 15 20:33:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 09:28:49 +1300 Rolf Turner
<r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> On 10/16/13 09:20, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 10/15/2013 01:07 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:
> >> Please, people:  When you give advice, make sure you get the little
> >> details right.
> >> Knowledgeable types and gurus can readily spot and fix minor
> >> infelicities.  But to us
> >> bunnies a minor infelicity can be completely bewildering.  Test your
> >> code before
> >> sending!
> >
> > FYI, root isn't needed for such queries.
>      That makes sense!
> > I used this:
> >
> > yum provides */libpng-config
> >
> > with no quotes, as my normal, unprivileged user and got the answer
> > with no trouble.
>
>      Hmm.  I tried that just now and got the "No match." again. WTF?
> Ahhhhh, I think I see
>      what's happening.  I am using (due to my personal peculiarities ---
> :-) ) tcsh.  I expect
>      that you, like most people, are using bash.  Tried it under bash,
> and bingo, it worked.
>
>      Mildly fascinating that there is this difference in the treatment
> of wild cards between
>      bash and tcsh.

My advice worked as stated and was tried out before I sent it: I have
not used tcsh so can not comment.

Btw, yes, you do not need sudo permission, but yum will look into the
repos all over again (in case you update -- and do so as root --
frequently in which case it will look into the cache also and results
will be quicker). My experience and self-explanation.

HTH,
Ranjan