Oracle says open source has no place in military apps

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 00:51:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Edward Martinez <edwardm1 at live.com> wrote:

>      Did not read the entire report but judging by the title, appears
> they're spreading FUD.
>      Such to mention a few how open source is doing well in the military,
> Linux was selectedfor the United States Army Terminal High Altitude Area
> Defense (THAAD) program
>      and NetBSD was used in NASA's SAMS II project; measuring the
> microgravity environment on the ISS.

Its not uncommon, I wrote recently about several examples of blatant FUD,
to the Apache Openoffice mailing list.

Oracle, like IBM is not a "pure open source" firm, but they, like IBM,
contribute A LOT both in terms of manpower and financially (developers
salaries) to FOSS projects. Now, Im a pragmatist, I applaud mixed-license
corporations when they invest in FOSS. The FOSS ecosystem is bigger, better
and of more quality with them than witout them. Without Oracle investing in
Btrfs, Linux wouldnt have a filesystem that can go head-to-head with
Microsoft's latest ReFS.

Without Oracle's traction neither SAP nor Apple nor AMD would have
contributed like they do, with OpenJDK. And Netbeans wouldn't have evolved
from a mostly-Java IDE to a terrific IDE also for PHP, C++ and now even
HTML5 development. And Oracle funded all this even des[ite having its own
closed source Java IDE, JDeveloper (which now, interestingly, has been
moved to run atop of the Netbeans engine, which is to say, Netbeans FOSS is
engulfing the previous closed source product).

Of course, like in any firm as big as IBM or Oracle, different product
divisions fight for their own sales turf. If you ask a IBM AIX sales or
support person what is best, Linux or Aix, Im sure tjeyll enumerate reasons
why Linux is a toy compared to Unix. Same within Oracle. But what I care
about is not what the devs of Oracle DB think but rather what the Oracle
Linux, MySQL, Virtualbox and OpenJDK devs *do*.

The rest is simply FUD... which I'm sure wont stop anytime soon, from
people too narrow minded that think that the FOSS ecosystem would be better
without Oracle (or IBM for that matter).

FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell