F19 --> F18 feasible?

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Thu Oct 17 16:44:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 13:30:19 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

	[....]
> You might try asking at the Xfce forum: http://forum.xfce.org/index.php
> because this might be DE specific.  However, before you do, have you
> made sure that ssh is set up to deal properly with X?  (I don't think
> that it is by default.)

	From "man:ssh" on Konqueror :

-X
 Enables X11 forwarding. This can also be specified on a per-host basis
in a configuration file.

 X11 forwarding should be enabled with caution. Users with the ability to
bypass file permissions on the remote host (for the user's X
authorization database) can access the local X11 display through the
forwarded connection. An attacker may then be able to perform activities
such as keystroke monitoring.

 For this reason, X11 forwarding is subjected to X11 SECURITY extension
restrictions by default. Please refer to the ssh -Y option and the
ForwardX11Trusted directive in ssh_config(5) for more information.
-x
 Disables X11 forwarding.
-Y
 Enables trusted X11 forwarding. Trusted X11 forwardings are not
subjected to the X11 SECURITY extension controls.
-y
 Send log information using the syslog(3) system module. By default this
information is sent to stderr

	My experience has been that -Y often works here, but that -X
mostly doesn't. So I use -Y, as sparingly as I can.

Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.