turning off Screen Lock in F19 GNOME doesn't work

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Oct 17 18:12:44 UTC 2013

| From: Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>

| On 10/15/2013 11:03 AM, Andre Robatino wrote:
| > Andre Robatino <robatino <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
| >
| >> Has anyone else noticed that in F19 GNOME, even with Screen Lock turned off,
| >> lately the screen will lock anyway? Is there an existing bug, and if not,
| >> which component should it be filed under?
| >
| > The problem is worse than I thought. My screen just locked, and I was unable
| > to get focus in the Password window to enter my password, though I could
| > click on the "Unlock" button (giving an error about wrong password). So I
| > couldn't unlock the screen, and had to restart X. I'm pretty sure this
| > started just in the last few days.

| I had this problem after having updated the cinnamon pkgs, though I see
| no releationship.

Thanks very much for this thread.  It's great to have mysteries revealed.

My desktop too got into the weird state where I could not type in my
password to lock the screen (as describe by Andre).

I also had a few crash-on-resume problems.

And the screen saver no longer honoured my request to go all-black: it
left a clock on the screen.

I've also had these problems on my notebook (but have not used it
much).

I thought that the problem might be the very recent kernel update to
kernel-3.11.4-201.fc19.x86_64.

I booted with the last-but-one kernel, kernel-3.11.3-201.fc19.x86_64.
Since then (yesterday), I've not had trouble.  But the screen-saver
screen is still different.

Since I don't use Cinnamon, I'll just remove all its packages, reboot
the old kernel, and see if life goes back to normal.

Trial and error got me this command to remove Cinnamon:
	sudo rpm -e `rpm -qa | grep -i cinnamon` muffin nemo nemo-extensions nemo-open-terminal