virtualized guest use only 2 cores

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Fri Oct 18 10:45:54 UTC 2013

Not sure if it is Fedora/KVM problem, but:
I'm trying virtualize MS Win7 Pro 64 guest under Fedora 19 x86_64 host.
In virt-manager I allocated 4 cores (host machine has Xeon E3-1230 CPU
with 8 cores incl. hyperthreading) to guest. But after installation
guest OS uses only two cores - as report its task manager and OS
properties info page. But what is weird, its device manager report all
cores (see attached picture - where I increased no. of cores to 6,
again without increased number of used cores). Guest OS should support
up to 4 cores, according to manufacturer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/cs-CZ/library/cc794868.aspx

But from this referenced URL it seems as they are considering hyper-v
as virt. supervisor - maybe then this result be some KVM problem or
nature?

TIA, Franta Hanzlik