Converting Fedora 19 machine to dual-boot with pre-installed Windows 7

Xinyun Zhou me at xyzhou.com
Fri Oct 18 17:08:56 UTC 2013

On 19 October 2013 03:50, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I have a Lenovo T430 that had Windows 7 Pro pre-installed, but I wiped out
> Windows and installed Fedora 19 instead (actually, I first installed Ubuntu
> and then Fedora).

Good move.

>   Now I want to turn it into a dual-boot machine with Fedora and Windows
> based on the license for the pre-installed Windows.

I would suggest you have a virtual machine running inside a host. The
main reason
is that by doing this you get both system running in a stable way, and you have
access to both systems all the time.

>   I see on the web some recommendations to first install Windows, and some
> say you can install first Linux and then Windows, but it may not work for
> (some?) pre-installed versions.

I would suggest go for Windows first because boot Windows is much more confusing
than boot Linux. You can easily add a boot point in Windows using
software and load
Grub and then load Linux.

> So, now I'm wondering whether I should first wipe out Fedora and then put
> first Windows and second Fedora, or whether I should try to keep Fedora and
> add Windows next to it?

If you still rely on Windows to work and study, and you are just
having some fun with
Fedora, go for a virtual machine. You will get enough performance and
experience by
using the virtual machine.

>   My file systems currently look like this:
>
> [oruebenacker at localhost ~]$ df
> Filesystem              1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/fedora-root  51475068  8239400  40597844  17% /
> devtmpfs                  3929460        0   3929460   0% /dev
> tmpfs                     3936376       96   3936280   1% /dev/shm
> tmpfs                     3936376      900   3935476   1% /run
> tmpfs                     3936376        0   3936376   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
> tmpfs                     3936376       52   3936324   1% /tmp
> /dev/sda1                  487652   120305    337651  27% /boot
> /dev/mapper/fedora-home 420590200 21603936 377598388   6% /home

Looks it's a Fedora only system with LVM installed, so either wipe Fedora out or
install Windows in a virtual machine.

I am using ArchLinux as my host machine and Windows & Fedora as Guest.
Everything run in VirtualBox and all work fine.

--
Regards,
Xinyun Zhou

__Simplicity is the peak of civilisation__