Fedora = "the darker side of the Internet?"

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sat Oct 19 02:18:40 UTC 2013

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 10:03:00 +1100 Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/2013 05:00 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >> I think you all missed their point about wanting an install that has a

> Admittedly I am a novice in much of the reasoning about version changes
> but have long wondered why they bother when much of the new version
> could be just another update. Golly we update kernels and core apps with
> regularity.
> When it gets serious like moving from ext4 to btrfs or what ever it's
> called, now that would require version change but most version changes
> so far seem to be just updates.
> I have no wish to create a flame war or cop derogatory comment, my few
> cents worth is based on observation not study of code.
> Roger

I have long been a (quiet) advocate of this approach -- the so-called
rolling release model. The stock response has usually been: try the
bleeding-edge rawhide, which I do not think is equivalent to have a
leading-edge rolling release model.

Maybe one option could be to have a Fedora version for the rolling
release to run in parallel with Fedora. Call it Topi or some other hat.
Then, there would be the enterprise-level Redhat, the short-term
release-based Fedora and the never-ending-release-called-whatever-hat.
Of course, not sure whether this could be a practical approach.

One other issue is that it sure would be nice if one could install
portions of the kernel without rebooting the machine: would be very
helpful for machines which are desirable to run without rebooting
for months.

Ranjan