Juvenile BASH question

Mark Haney MHaney at practichem.com
Mon Oct 21 12:50:41 UTC 2013

This may sound like a rather juvenile BASH question, but I'm rather stumped and hope it's something simple to fix.  I hope someone has the answer since I don't really have time (swapping out firewalls and half my network is down) to research it.

I have a BASH script that is pretty simple, it backs up postgresQL databases using pg_dump.  It runs as root since I am copying data to a SAN and don't really want to configure the postgres user to have access to it.  But, in order to get everything dumped properly, I do this:

su postgres - -c <pgdump command>

Now, this has worked perfectly for 3 months now, but the last few days I started getting errors about failed authentication to the databases.  Here's where it gets weird.  I can su postgres - from a BASH prompt just fine,but when I run the script, it asks me for a password, which it didn't do before.  IIRC, I had to change the postgres user from /bin/false to /bin/bash for one of our software devs to be able to monitor the DBs via Jenkins, could that have something to do with it?  I can't imagine how, since I can su from the root prompt to the postgres user without asking for a password.

Help!

Mark Haney
IT Support Associate/Network Administrator
Practichem
10404 Chapel Hill Road
Morrisville, NC 27560
W: 919-714-8428