Juvenile BASH question

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Mon Oct 21 13:36:40 UTC 2013

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013, Mark Haney wrote:

> My problem is this, if it works as root from a bash prompt, why /won't/ it work as root from a bash script?  Shoudn't it ask for the password in both instances?

Yeah, you'd think so.  When stuff like that happens to me, it's often that the environments are different -- I sometimes have things in my .profile or .bash_profile file that are not in my .bashrc file, so subshells are a bit different than the original shell.  Thus, for instance, it is conceiveable that there's a PBPASSWORD variable set in your .profile that isn't set in .bashrc, or something like that.

billo