solved: trying to install abiword 3, getting abiword 2.8.6??

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Tue Oct 22 07:28:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 11:37:24 AM +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a fedora 17 x86_64 box with abiword 2.8.6 installed via RPM in
> /usr/local/bin
>
> Yesterday I decided to try for a moment, just for the fun of it,
> abiword 3.0 from source. I ended up with a binary in
> /usr/local/bin/abiwowrd.
>
> When I launch THAT binary from the command line, I get an abiword
> window whose "About" box says it's abiword 2.8.6

Yesterday I realized that, even if I was sure this was NOT the case, I
had initially been running the configure and make steps as root.

As I understand it now, this distraction left temporary files owned by
root in the src directory (see previous messages in this thread). If, why
and how this is what actually left me with a 2.8.6 abiword binary in
/usr/local/bin/ I am not sure. Explanations are welcome.

Anyway, I removed that binary manually, ran make distclean, erased the
working directory and started from scratch from the tarball, i.e.

tar xf abiword3.source.code
configure (with the options mentioned in previous messages)
make
make install

doing ONLY the last step as root, and now I do have a
/usr/local/bin/abiword that says "Abiword 3.0.0" in its about box.

Thanks again to all who helped!
 	Marco
--
Personal, Free Software replacement for Facebook, Gmail & C
http://per-cloud.com