F18: Bind-chroot & Dovecot mount errors, how to fix?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Oct 23 15:28:01 UTC 2013

On 10/22/2013 11:00 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 11:00 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
>> dovecot complains in maillog, the following errors:
>>
>> dovecot: master: Warning: /var/named/chroot/etc/named.root.key is no
>> longer mounted. See http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Mountpoints
> I notice you've resolved this, but I find the information Dovecot
> provides on that link, "Dovecot wants to keep track of mountpoints that
> might contain emails," to be quite disturbing.  I don't think a mail
> program should be behaving like that, at all.  Imagine the mess we'd be
> in all sorts of programs started ploughing through the directory tree,
> without being told to, just because they thought it was a good idea.
>
> Since Fedora likes to put removeable media into /var/run/username/media
> you might encounter that problem again, unless you put /var/run into its
> ignore database.

(and sub-thread replies to Tim)

After dovecot restarts and a reboot, (lazarus's) bind-chroot
mountpoints warnings has not risen from the grave. ;)

Do you think the dovecot programmers read "Fedora Community"
mailing list?  I don't think so, but I could be wrong...

Why not ask dovecot.org?

I read their site and it appears that dovecot supports clustered
filesytems, *dsync, and a myriad of different things. Then I found
this:

* http://blog.dovecot.org/2012/02/dovecot-clustering-with-dsync-based.html
(Could replication/clustering/dsync have something to do with
   detecting disk changes?)

Since I mentioned that I installed bind-chroot, installed dovecot,
then uninstalled bind-chroot, perhaps triggering dovecot to notice
a disk change (dsync) and thus generated bind-chroot mountpoint
warnings, repeatedly?  I do recall that when I installed bind-root,
dovecot did not complain and I had this running for a week or so.
The dovecot warning came after I removed bind-root.

Just something to consider...

Dan