Firefox - gedit is the best!

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 22:43:14 UTC 2013

On 28 October 2013 22:26, Mateusz Marzantowicz
<mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote:
> On 28.10.2013 23:02, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 28.10.2013 22:58, schrieb Mateusz Marzantowicz:

>>> Thank you for your help. It means that content of downloaded file is
>>> irrelevant for FF.
>>
>> *otherwise* it would be a bug and the behavior is correct
>>
>> FF *must not* look in the content
>> a browser which does is broken in case of a specified mime-type
>>

> Could you provide some RFC or other standard to back that statement?

If you think about it rationally, if the mime type is specified, but
the browser still reads the data to guess (on the basis it knows
better) then it's just ignoring the mime type and the system is
pointless.

But if you want an RFC:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec7.html#sec7.2.1
"Any HTTP/1.1 message containing an entity-body SHOULD include a
Content-Type header field defining the media type of that body. If and
only if the media type is not given by a Content-Type field, the
recipient MAY attempt to guess the media type via inspection of its
content and/or the name extension(s) of the URI used to identify the
resource. If the media type remains unknown, the recipient SHOULD
treat it as type "application/octet-stream"."

This actually covers another post too:
Michael Hennebry:
> What annoys me are text files labeled binary/application
In some of those cases it may simply be unlabelled. But I do find it
pretty annoying when it happens too, seems quite common for email
attachments from Outlook users, you ask to be sent a plain text file
and when you get it you end up having to save before opening.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk