[OT] Open Source monitoring tools

Stephen Berg (Contractor) stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Wed Oct 30 18:14:29 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 01:06 PM, Mark Haney wrote:

> This is slightly OT, but I'm really interested in getting input from
> the list on monitoring software.  I've been out of IT for almost 4
> years dealing with some pretty serious medical issues (6 surgeries on
> my feet in 20 months along with elbow and knee surgeries) and I want
> to see how much has changed.  Before I left IT I used Nagios and BB
> for network monitoring, but want to see if there is anything new that
> could replace those in my arsenal or are they still some of the elite
> software out there.
>
> Things change so fast in IT, I want to be sure I'm up to date on all
> the options and opinions on those options from those who weren't on a
> sabbatical.  I would appreciate any input you might have.
>
> Mark Haney
>
> IT Support Associate/Network Administrator
>
> Practichem
>
> 10404 Chapel Hill Road
>
> Morrisville, NC 27560
>
> W: 919-714-8428

Have a look at http://www.omdistro.org, they package up Nagios,
check_mk, nagvis, pnp4nagios and some other tools into a nice, neat,
integrated monitoring system.  Nagios is the engine but by using
check_mk and it's agents the configuration learning curve is much
better.  I've done nagios by itself and hated the amount work it took to
configure it.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator