[OT] Open Source monitoring tools

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Oct 30 19:57:48 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 11:06 AM, Mark Haney issued this missive:
> This is slightly OT, but I’m really interested in getting input from the
> list on monitoring software.  I've been out of IT for almost 4 years
> dealing with some pretty serious medical issues (6 surgeries on my feet
> in 20 months along with elbow and knee surgeries) and I want to see how
> much has changed.  Before I left IT I used Nagios and BB for network
> monitoring, but want to see if there is anything new that could replace
> those in my arsenal or are they still some of the elite software out there.
>
> Things change so fast in IT, I want to be sure I'm up to date on all the
> options and opinions on those options from those who weren't on a
> sabbatical.  I would appreciate any input you might have.

OpenNMS (http://www.opennms.org/) and zenoss core
(http://community.zenoss.org/index.jspa) come to mind along with Nagios,
OpsView and several others.
-   After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away   -
-                from the people who didn't do it.                   -
-                                         -- William S. Burroughs    -