"Oh no! Something has gone wrong."

John Wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 31 02:24:47 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 04:40 PM, Roger wrote:
> On 10/31/2013 10:26 AM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>>
>>      Hello,
>>
>>   After a failed attempt to install the manufacturer's nvidia driver,
>> my system (Fedora 19, with both Gnome and KDE, on a Lenovo ThinkPad
>> T430) does not reach the graphical login screen any more, but instead
>> ends up in a white screen with a frowning computer cartoon and the
>> message
>>
>>   "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem occurred and the system
>> can't recover. Please contact a system administrator."
>>
>>   I can still do Ctrl-Alt-F2 to log into text mode. When I try
>> startx, I get an empty screen with white or black background and a
>> mouse cursor, extending over my two screens (laptop and external).
>> When I try startkde it says:
>>
>>   $DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to X server.
>>
>>   The only error in /var/etc/X11.0.log is:
>>
>>   Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
>>
>>   In /var/log/messages, there are a bunch of lines like (I'm typing
>> by hand):
>>
>>   gnome-session[2658]: (gnome-shell:2949): Cogl-WARNING **:
>> ./driver/gl/cogl-framebuffer-gl.c:561: GL error (1282): Invalid
>> operation
>>
>>   Could not find a solution on Google.
>>
>>   I already reinstalled a bunch of packages, including cogl, gdm,
>> gnome-shell, @kde-desktop, xorg-x11-drv-nouveau, kernel, but no change.
>>
>>   Any advice? Thanks!
>>
>>      Best,
>>      Oliver
>> I remember running into this problem over time with Fedora 16,18 and
>> 19 so did a fresh install using the standard nouveau driver, then
>> when the system was working, followed the instructions on the Fedora
>> page to install the nvidia driver.
>> Apart from a slightly smoother movement of windows and terminals, and
>> I usually have quite several open at once, I have seen no real
>> benefit from the nvidia video driver.
> I believe nvidia has released helpful code to the nouveau devs but
> have no knowledge on the benefits or other.
>> Roger

The major benefits from the Nvidia driver for me are working power
management and working vdpau, which lets me play 1080P video smoothly on
an old Intel core2 cpu. With the nouveau driver, my video card runs
about 30 degrees hotter, and HD video looks like crap.  Of course, 3D
rendering is much much faster with the Nvidia driver, but I don't play
games.

John