"Oh no! Something has gone wrong."

Oliver Ruebenacker curoli at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 13:34:24 UTC 2013

     Hello,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Theodore Papadopoulo <
Theodore.Papadopoulo at inria.fr> wrote:

> On 10/31/2013 12:26 AM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > After a failed attempt to install the manufacturer's nvidia driver,
> > my system (Fedora 19, with both Gnome and KDE, on a Lenovo ThinkPad
> > T430) does not reach the graphical login screen any more, but
> > instead ends up in a white screen with a frowning computer cartoon
> > and the message
> >
> > "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem occurred and the
> > system can't recover. Please contact a system administrator."
>
> One solution I dound with difficulty is that Alt+F4 (I think) kills
> the "frowning computer" and (at least in my case) leaves you with a
> working system. Surely something to be improved in the UI....

  Really? That's so funny.

  Certainly it is the most useless error message I ever saw. It should at
least indicate form which direction the error came from. Maybe the author
of that piece of software felt it too embarrassing to reveal the source of
this message.

     Best,
     Oliver

--