small error when starting Fedora

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Sep 4 20:15:28 UTC 2013

On 09/04/2013 12:53 PM, Chris Roberts issued this missive:
> Hi,
>

> I had to get a new laptop because my last one had a hinge issue. After
> installing Fedora 19 onto this laptop, When clicking Fedora 19 from grub
> I get a message saying: irq 9: nobody cared(try booting with the
> "irqpoll" option) It stays for about 5 seconds then Fedora boots
> normally. Its more of an annoyance then anything since its not hindering
> startup. Is there any way to fix this?

Not really. IRQ9 is the cascade for IRQ2, which was used mostly for
COM3 or COM4 back in the day. It's most often used now for ACPI
operations. If you're getting that message, make sure the various ACPI
options are enabled in your BIOS (these are the things affecting the
power usage...ACPI = "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface").

The system polls the various IRQs to see if a device responds on them.
If not, you get the "nobody cared" message (no hardware was using that
IRQ) and life goes on. On my machines, I generally see stuff like this
in dmesg regarding IRQ 9:

[    0.000000] ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 9 global_irq 9 high level)

Your mileage may vary.
-                     "Celibacy is not hereditary."                  -
-                                      -- Guy Goden                  -