how can i make restart not require root password

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 00:44:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 12:31:46PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Jehan Procaccia wrote:
> >Le 04/09/2013 17:08, Bill Davidsen a écrit :
> >>
> >>3 - However, if it is your intention to let any user reboot at any time,
> >>use visudo to add a line:
> >>  %booters        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: /sbin/reboot
> >>so the next student could log in and reboot from command line with
> >>  sudo su /sbin/reboot
> >>Note that this requires putting all students allowed to do this (all of
> >>them?) into a secondary group allowed to reboot.
> >>
> >unfortunatly , some user never use a terminal and would'nt know how to use
> >a command line as "sudo su /sbin/reboot"
> >the purpose here was to enable restart from the drop down menu withing the
> >gnome session .
> >
> Actually command lines are specified in menu items and icons...

I don't think sudo works from a menu, you need gksudo or ksudo for that.
That said, sudo is a hammer compared to polkit.  For example, polkit can
restrict allowed actions to a user present at the physical terminal (as
the OP wanted), I don't think sudo can do that.

PS: I use sudo all the time, but then on my machines, I'm the only real user.

--
Suvayu