Something compatible to MS Office on Fedora?

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Fri Sep 6 15:52:38 UTC 2013

On 06.09.2013, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:

> It used to be that LibreOffice was acceptable, although way from perfect.
> But recently, it is causing severe headaches. I'm importing and exporting
> as DOCX in Writer, and I get cases where it crashes persistently when I
> want to open a document, or in other cases indentation changes to absurd
> ways, and math formulas get corrupted and in one case simply vanish.

The only thing that is fully compatible with MS Office/Word is MS
Office/Word. I've been using Openoffice/Libreoffice a long time and
also during my mastergrade studies, and it worked for me. When I had
to share documents with Office users, I did it by making .pdf files
out of my documents. Impress-presentations are not fully MS-compatible
either, and I've been using Libreoffice Portable without any problems
both on small and big conferences.

Odt-files can be read by Word, but as mentioned, there's no 100%
compatibility. You have to find your way to live with it or stick to
MS Office.